Ambassadors for Inclusion
Ambassador’s for Inclusion (AFI) is an interactive workshop designed and facilitated by Community Living Prince Edward (CLPE) in various schools throughout Hastings and Prince Edward Counties. The curriculum is a powerful tool that demonstrates the value of creating inclusive school communities where all students belong and all contributions are welcomed. The training challenges student leaders and school personnel to think outside the box of possibilities for students with disabilities to become engaged members of the school community.
Since January 2017 CLPE has:
- Facilitated Ambassadors for Inclusion with over 250 teachers, EA’s, Board Members and student leaders in both Hastings Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB) and the Algonquin Lakeshore Catholic District School Board (ALDCSB).
- CLPE and Prince Edward Colligate Institute (PECI) partnered to create a new co-op placement opportunity within Peer mentoring.
- Inclusive Career Class was launched and peer mentors took on the role of job coaches.
- Schools engaged in new initiatives such as Try it Tuesday’s and Hook Every Student to engage all students to participate in clubs and committees.
- CLPE has partnered with the Trenton Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) to create a MFRC focused AFI. This training was designed to be in line with the National Definition of Special Needs Inclusion and the Inclusion Policy for People with Special Needs. In March 2017 CLPE and MFRC launched the training through a webinar format with 17 participants nationally., and in May they facilitated a webinar with 17 participants from Greenwood Nova Scotia.
CLPE is sharing the success of Ambassadors for Inclusion locally, regionally and provincially. This exciting project is funded with a 3 year grant from the United Way Hastings and Prince Edward. This grant will enable CLPE to continue to reach more schools, and more students, enhancing inclusive school communities.
Interested in hosting an "Ambassadors for Inclusion" workshop?
Please contact Lisa Rashotte by phone or email:
613-476-6038 ext. 122